I am a firm believer in eating and enjoying the foods and treats you love, BUT I am also a firm believer in the fact that food is the most powerful tool we have for changing or taking control of our health…so, I LOVE trying out recipes and experimenting to find new ways to make our favorite treats healthy!
Flour-less, butter-less, egg-less brownies do not seem promising, so my expectations were not super high 🤣 but these actually turned out great!
Give them a try and let me know what you think:
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice (I used peanut butter, because right now PB is LIFE!)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp raw, organic cacao powder (if you like a slightly more dark chocolate (bitter) flavored brownie, increase this to 1/4 cup cacao)
- 2 scoops of plant-based chocolate protein powder (I used Vegan Chocolate Shakeology) *
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- OPTIONAL (but highly recommended): 1/2 slab dark chocolate (70% or higher) to melt on top when it comes out the oven, and some chopped walnuts to sprinkle on top.
*You can use 2 Tbsp coconut flour instead of Shakeology or other plant-based protein powder if you do not have.
1. Preheat the oven at 375°F
2. Mash bananas as smooth as possible, then add all other ingredients to the mash and mix together well.
3. Spray an oven-safe dish, pour mixture in and spread evenly.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until brownies are done (they will still be very soft while they are hot).
5. Chop up the dark chocolate and sprinkle it on top while the brownies are still hot so that it melts.
6. Allow them to cool completely before cutting into squares.
They are fudgy and soft and amazing! 🤤
(For a little extra yum, add a small scoop of Halo Top vanilla ice cream, or a few fresh or frozen berries to your bowl)