I have been wanting to try Golden Milk for a few years now, and I have just been “too busy” to actually sit down and research it, make it, and try it. Well, I got my act together, and now I am in love!
After trying a few recipes, this is the one that I love the most (and the addition of the black pepper has fantastic benefits).
Step 1: Turmeric Paste:
- 1/4 cup of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
- 1/2-3/4 cup of filtered water
NOTE: Adding black pepper to turmeric or turmeric-spiced food dramatically increases curcumin’s bioavailability (it’s ability to be absorbed).
Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
Stir constantly until the mixture is a thick paste (do not walk away, this happens pretty quickly) – you want to make sure that the turmeric is cooked, so cook for approximately 7-8 minutes.
Let the paste mixture cool, and then keep it in a small glass jar in the fridge.
Step 2: Golden Milk
- 1 cup of milk (coconut, hemp, almond etc)
- 1/2 cup purified water
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon or more of turmeric paste (start with less and slowly increase amount to taste)
- Raw honey or maple syrup
Combine all the ingredients, except honey in a saucepan.
Stir constantly, over medium heat, and do not allow the mixture to boil.
Pour into a mug and add honey and extra cinnamon to taste.
I love drinking a hot mug at night before bed. Here are some of the benefits of turmeric:
- Powerful antioxidant
- One of nature’s strongest anti-inflammatory plants
- Natural pain reliever
- Strengthens the immune system
- It is anti-carcinogenic
- Helps reduce and prevent arthritis
- Helps maintain lower cholesterol levels
- Promotes digestive health
- Detoxifies the liver
- Regulates metabolism and weight management
- Improves cognitive function
- Lowers the risk of heart disease
Let me know what you think when you give it a try, or what benefits you’ve noticed if you’ve been drinking it for a while already.
To read more about the benefits of turmeric, and to credit the websites I read and researched before trying Golden Milk myself, check out these links:
Authority Nutrition (longer post with more explanation)
The World’s Healthiest Foods.org