The first recipe my mom ever taught me was how to make her homemade Mac & Cheese. I loved making it for our family, and loved eating it even more! This somewhat healthier version is still a favorite over here in the R&R household! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 box whole wheat pasta (or quinoa pasta if you are gluten-free)
- 4 Tbsp. organic grass-fed butter or Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack
- 1.5lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked (or grass-fed 90/10 ground beef)
- 4 cups steamed broccoli florets, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Herbs (oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary)
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Chop chicken into small chunks. Cook with herbs and a dash of salt.
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave and chop into small pieces.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and mix until smooth.
- Add in the milk to the butter mixture. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens and is smooth.
- Add 1 cup of cheese to the milk mixture. Stir until melted. (At this point, if the sauce is too thick add a little more milk to thin out)
- Add the chicken and broccoli to the cheese sauce, and season with herbs, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta and mix it all together.
- Pour into a 9×11 overproof dish. Top with the leftover cheese, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted (we like to grill the top for the last 2 minutes to add some color).
- Serve hot (with a little hot sauce), and enjoy!
Adapted from the original recipe in the FIXATE Cookbook