As the mom of a 10 week old I am ALWAYS on the hunt for quick and easy recipes that are healthy and filling. Since I am exclusively breastfeeding my little guy, I know I need to be eating enough each day, however, that is easier said than done when you no longer seem to own your arms… This has led me to try a bunch of new recipes, and make up some of my own. This recipe is one of the successes!
Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 Acorn squash, cut in half with seeds and stringy insides removed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 pound ground beef OR cooked mixed veggies (or both)
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- Green onion
- Salt and herbs of choice
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Cut acorn squash in half and get rid of seeds and stringy insides. Season with salt and herbs and bake in oven at 350F for 45-60min (check the squash with a fork to make sure it is cooked through)
- Cook the quinoa (1 part quinoa to 2 parts water) and set aside
- Cook the ground beef. Season as desired (salt, red pepper flakes, garlic, oregano, rosemary etc.)
- Mix the cooked quinoa, cooked beef/veggies, and feta cheese together
- Stuff the baked squash halves with the quinoa mixture, top with green onions and a little mozzarella cheese
- Grill in the oven until cheese bubbles
- Enjoy with a little hot sauce, or just as is!
The great thing about this recipe is you can make a large amount of the quinoa mixture, and bake a number of acorn squash and just keep them in your fridge ready to throw together on those busy days.
Give these a try and let me know what you think!
What are some of your favorite “quick and easy” recipes?