Baked Quinoa Bruschetta
You can make this dish as is, or leave out the meat for a great vegetarian meal.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (approx. 3/4 cup uncooked)
- 8oz of pasta sauce (Whole Foods 365 brand is our favorite – no added sugar, all natural, and organic)
- OPTIONAL: 1 lb ground beef/chicken, 3 freshly made Italian sausages, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (1/2 to be mixed in, 1/2 to be used on top)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. dried basil
NOTE: feel free to use any herbs you enjoy. Italian herb mix works perfectly.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cook the quinoa, adding 1/2 tsp. salt to the water (takes approx. 15 minutes)
- Spray 9×11 dish with cooking spray (Spectrum coconut oil cooking spray is great!)
- Cook the beef or sausages until done.
- Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Mix the quinoa, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and some dried oregano, basil and thyme (or Italian herb mix)
- Place quinoa mixture into the baking dish, top with the remaining mozzarella cheese, and bake for 20 minutes
- Broil for 2 minutes to lightly brown the top.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining herbs (you can also top with sliced fresh tomato).
- Serve hot, and ENJOY!
NOTE: We have started adding in lots of peppers and onions as well, to really stuff it with veggies. Just chop up slices of bell peppers and sweet onions. Cook lightly in the pasta sauce, and then mix in with the quinoa before baking. It’s delicious!
Recipe adapted from: Potentially Lovely